Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Photo Shoot with David Irvine












It became apparent to me, quite a while ago in fact, that I needed a new profile image for my Facebook account. The one I had was done professionally but was from when my son was about 9 months old. He's now 25 months. Yep, it was time.

I mean, I had a few "homemade" self-portraity shots I did in the privacy of downtown traffic, lol, but they just didn't quite capture ME.

Back in March I posted a blog about doing a Bridal Show at the St. Thomas Golf and Country Club. Which is where I met David Irvine. We talked shop over the next few months, when we both had TIME to talk said shop, and then I finally sat him down and booked a session.

Last Wednesday we couldn't ask for better weather. It was super warm out (not hot tho) and the sun cooperated magnificently...except for when it was in my eyes, lol. Squinty shots were not processed as you can imagine ;)

I did indoor shots, outdoor shots, shadowy "low light" shots, several wardrobe changes...2.5 hours and what seemed to be a million images later, we were done. I was actually exhausted from not only stretching my body into proportions and angles in an attempt to get that "perfect" shot, but from trying to not laugh half the time; not out of nervousness, but because I felt super comfortable around David and let him see my natural goofy side. I had a freakin' blast :)

David is really professional and a good conversationalist as well, and really makes you feel at ease. He's truly talented and knows how to properly guide you with head tilts and glances ("ok look at the corner of the desk, not at the camera, and think about what you did yesterday") so that you find that right moment of composure...and then you hear the soft click of the lens knowing that that image is caught on film foreva :)
OK maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, lol...

I swung by his house today to pick up the photos and disc. He handed me my album and gave me a quick tour via his computer of what I was receiving.
I oohed.
I ahhed.
I gasped in shock and utter glory, covering my mouth and pointing as I was totally impressed with his ability to capture the moment and make it look even more real than real life, if that makes any sense :P

I will not disclose how much I paid or how many images I received (so don't ask, lol) because that's a personal deal between he and I, and really, everybody's portrait package is going to be different.

But I will say though that he is absolutely worth my time and money. His talent exceeds others I've been introduced to and I am officially hiring him as my photographer; for our family portraits and possibly, one day if I am so lucky to say this, my wedding. Hopefully he will still be around by the time that day comes! LMAO...

He was also gracious enough to take some non-portrait images that I will be using for an upcoming wedding invitation design. It g'onna be awesome.

Please, I suggest that if you are looking for a great photographer for either your wedding or how you look in your favourite outfit as you lean up against a brick wall (um, ME), follow the link to his site and start there. His work speaks for itself. www.jdwiphotography.com

Thank you David for a great time and for your professionalism and talent. At the risk of sounding a little teeny-bopperish, you rock! :)

No comments: