Monday, August 10, 2009

Paula Jolly - local artisan
















Hello all! It's been a while... I know, bad Lisa. I apologize for the delay in the goings-on. But lots has been going on FOR the goings-on! :)

I wanted to let you all know about a fantastic and truly intelligent friend of mine who is also very much like a sister to me. Her name is Paula Jolly and she's a ridiculously talented artist who at the tender age of 22 followed her dreams and her passion which lead her half way around the world and ultimately has brought her back home where she bought a house and made it into a Gallery!
I know! Twenty Two!
Frick, at 22 I was potty training my toddler...digressing.
Last week was her official open house and naturally I attended to support my girl. I brought along my daughter and my awesome friend Nicole (who's made appearances in past blog postings) as we were also hitting up the Ribfest in Victoria Park in London. Fun times ya'll!
As we approached her house, I saw a large tent in the backyard and a structure I can only describe as a "cage" which displayed her best work. Wait a second, in my opinion, ALL her work is her best work. I've known this girl for ages and have never once seen a piece that I would label as mediocre. Art and talent seeps from Paula's pores like a creative sweat.
People milled about the yard, some entering the house to engage their senses in colour and textures, and some retreating with smiles and praises spilling forth as they nibbled on delicious tidbits of fresh fruit and freshly baked cookies.
I first stopped to say hello/congrats/you rock to Paula to let her know we showed up, and then we headed for the great indoors. I had stopped by a couple times in the past few weeks and saw the rooms-in-progress, so seeing it upon completion really took my breath away. She did SO much freakin' work it was unreal!
Paula of course, has some of her pieces displayed but 75% of the Gallery was dedicated to her artists; digital photograhy, sculptures, and textiles upon canvas. Amazing work. Really. Holy and Cow.
The track lights were perfectly positioned over and above the canvasses, spilling about a gentle light across the colours and textures. Each room was decorated with little funky tidbits and trinkets that just goes to show Paula's true personality.
Her friend had an extensive collection of old-school manual 35mm's and she had them displayed on shelves throughout the house to show the love of photography that was more than welcome in her domain.
I get that, totally. I get that SO much that a few days later whilst shopping for booth supplies at Value Village (BTW, that place rocks), I found an old-school camera myself. I've never heard of the manufacture before, but I think it just looks cool sitting up on my desk, looking down at me promising a world of photographic opportunities. I don't even know if it works, but for $3.99 I didn't care; to me it was a new found treasure.
We eventually made our way to the outdoor gallery and to see this "cage". Beautiful work was displayed and I even took notice to the little details of the yard; the position of the patio set, the interlocking brick for the patio area that was hand-stained, and naturally, all the flora and fauna that added a soft woodsy feel to the set.
Paula's Gallery, Jollyway Studios is located at 1217 Hamilton Road, London, a stone's throw from EastPark. She's open Mon-Fri, 8-5 but suggests you call ahead to ensure she is in the Gallery. You can contact her at 519-851-DRAW.

No comments: