Friday, February 12, 2010

So I Was a Celeb Today...

Ya. Totally.

Every morning, I wake up to 103.1 FreshFm, a local station outta London who plays the mainstream pop/rock/top 40. Yes I'm one to rock out to Metallica from time to time but I can't say no to Lady Gaga :) Taylor Swift? I could do without...















ANYways.
Yesterday, during the wonderfully entertaining segment entitled The World According to Mindy, she was talking about how Valentine's Day is approaching and about those who are single and that it really IS okay to be single on such an overly-saturated day.

This caused for me to, literally within moments of hearing the rant (I say that with love) in it's entirety, email her and thank her for her opinions.

This was my email, literally in it's entirety, that I wrote to her:
Thank YOU.
Thank you, thank you, THANK you for today's "World According to Mindy" in regards to love and being single.
Your point of view this morning felt like it was written for me, about me.
Even the opener, about attending a wedding after being newly single rang bells of familiarity with me.

I am the proverbial Independent Lady..."lady" possibly stretching it a little, lol. I belch in the presence of friends and I guess that isn't lady-like.
Digressing.
I pay my own bills, I bought my own car, I have my own house (rental with option to buy so it technically counts, lol), and I raise my 2 kids on the low income that single moms are famously tied to: not welfare, just EI :D

I recently went through some difficult times, in order of appearance:
1. a separation; no one likes breaking up with the love of their life…but when they proved to not be exactly faithful, that kind of justifies the departure.
2. a car accident (in front of a Church no less) where my vehicle was totalled; oh did I mention that I had just dumped $300 into it 4 days earlier? :)
3. job loss due to the economy; ok honestly the first week of being laid off was great. I caught up on lots of laziness. Now I'm bored :)

Point is, I'm in a mountain of debt and somehow, SOMEHOW happier in the last couple of weeks than I possibly ever was in the last 2 years of my relationship with my Baby Daddy :)

So what does all this ranting have to do with your blog? Lots.
I've learned in the last 6 months, since the inception of our separation, how I truly needed to step back 2 squares and love who I am and appreciate all the wonderful morsels of my life. I was so wrapped up in being angry and bitter in my relationship that I forgot about me.

Since I've moved out and painted my walls turquoise blue, I've had a great deal of positive energy enter my life. Yes, I'm without a job. But now I have time to invest into my little stationery company. I've rekindled my love for writing. And I'm dipping my toe into the waters of photography and considering going to school for it this year (strike pending of course, lol) and really, I'm so very comfortable being ALONE. This does not mean I am lonely. I am more complete and stable and filled with love than I was 6 months ago. I'm much stronger as well.

So I am looking forward to being single on Valentines Day; I'm going to curl up with my kids, throw myself into my art, and probably have a nap that day. 

P.S.
The first wedding I attended after I left my boyfriend was for my ex-fiance. Somewhere, Alanis Morrissette is singing gently the lyrics to Ironic :)

So how did I get my 5 minutes of fame, you ask?
Whell, there's a little something called Feedback Fridays where she reads in summary format some of the obviously kewl feedback she's received on the past week's topics...I was sitting at my Mac, checking mail, sipping my morning tea today when I heard "and we got an email from Lisa who says that she's so comfortable being alone, and that she's more complete and stable and filled with love now..."

I jumped up and yelled at my almost-13 year old daughter to come and listen. Thankfully, my Mac's radio connection was about a minute behind so by the time she arrived, I was able to load the radio's page and we sat and listened: me grinning from ear to ear because SHIT, I WAS ON THE RADIO and Zoey, sitting there with a look on her 7:45am face that said "Um...wow ok Mom what's the big dealio?"

So yeah.
That's my story about how I was on the air for all of 30 seconds...maybe not the 5 minutes I previously boasted...but did YOU get your name verbalized on-air today? No? Ok then, you go sit back down and let me continue to bust a groove :)



No comments: